Thursday, June 11, 2015

Far north

Te Paki stream is at the northern end of ninety mile beach. The beach is classified as a road. Google maps actually directed me to it when I was looking for a particular campground 3 nights ago but given my low clearance  car I didn't have the guts to try it in spite of encouragement by the locals.  Looking at the stream that has to be driven through at this end I feel I made the right decision.  There are massive sand dunes here and a truck where one can rent a board in order to sled down them. I think the daily showers stifled the fun though. People were coming back caked in sand dragging their boards behind them, not even trying to ride the dune down.
The "road" to get to 90 mile beach road is through the stream to the left:
 
Went to Cape Reinga (I'm sure I spelled that wrong in previous post but have no ability to edit on my phone). It's not the northern most place in NZ as there are some islands of the coast. It is a most sacred place for the Maori. They believe it is the launching off place where their soul heads back to their homeland when they die. For us westerners it's a lighthouse.
I've worked my way back down the peninsula,  am full up on food and fuel and am headed up the Karikari peninsula for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment