Sunday, July 19, 2015

Australia!

Arrived in Cairns yesterday without a hitch. Safe but quite exhausted. Today will be a do nothing but rest up day. My big desire in the region is to get dive certified and dive the Great Barrier Reef. However, I'll need to finish recovering from what I'm almost positive was the flu in Auckland. Diving with a cough probably won't work...

My first impression of Australia is that it isn't nearly as lovely as NZ but then, I'm pretty sure most countries will not live up to my first on this grand adventure. Weather so far is warm and humid but not uncomfortable.

When inquiring about the walk from the airport to the hostel yesterday the woman at the cafe was horrified of the idea. "There are crocodiles!" After a round of 50 questions with her, I determined it was probably just fine and indeed never saw a single croc in the entire 3.5 mile walk, much to my dismay. Unlike New Zealand, there are many things in nature here that can do a person harm - spiders, snakes, crocs and who knows what else. I can't wait to see my first kangaroo however!

1 comment:

  1. I just got to catch up on your writings. So interesting. Glad you are safe in Australia and getting over being ill. Happy belated birthday. We all talked about you on that day. Glad you get to see Erik. You should meet at Sean's place. {:>)
    Love you.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete