Friday, March 4, 2016

Annapurna Circuit day 3 - Tal

Not gonna lie, today was tough  but I'm feeling back in my element and so happy to be here! Overall, I'm making much less distance per day than anticipated but the good news is I have no time frame so it's all good.

Day 1 consisted of 2, 2 hour bus rides and a 9 km trek to a 100 rupee room in Bhulbhule (110 rupees to 1 usd atm). The tradition along the AC is to offer cheap or even free accommodation with the expectation that you will eat in the on site restaurant. So far simple meals have been around 2-4 usd making this the cheapest place I've been so far. I understand it gets more expensive to eat farther up the trail as everything has to be hauled in. Accommodation is very basic however. Day one offered no shower, no wifi, just a thin mat on a raised platform with wooden planks and a corrugated tin roof to keep out the weather. Last night in Ghermu was slightly better with a cold shower. Tonight is a treat - hot shower, wifi, 3 inch mattress - and still only 100 rupees!

The first 2 days the terrain was what I'd call foothills on steroids. Lovely terraced landscapes and small villages. Today entered the massive Himalayas. It took me close to 9 hours to make 12 km. Hard won elevation gains were disappointingly lost to long downhill stretches. But the views were wonderful. The last hard uphill push, I was accompanied by a herd of goats that I swear were trying to figure out why it was such a struggle for me.

Next... shower, food and sleep! Tomorrow is a new day.

The view from last nights accommodation
Magnificent waterfalls everywhere



No comments:

Post a Comment