Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Litchfield National Park

I've been on the go and have fallen a bit behind in my posts so will attempt to get caught up. I've added some pictures and video to the last post (Kakadu) as well.

The highlights for Edith Falls (northern Nitmiluk) and Litchfield Natl park were the swimming holes at the base of a series of waterfalls. The days were so oppressively hot, hiking was out of the question after about 9 in the morning and a nice swim was a welcome relief. I hadn't realized that sitting under a waterfall was on my bucket list but now it's been crossed off!
Edith Falls
  The termite mounds at Litchfield were interesting. I had thought the mounds were just a rubbish heap reflecting how deep into the earth they had built their homes. I couldn't get over how inefficient it seemed to keep going higher instead of spreading the dirt out! lol show's what I know... turns out the mounds themselves are their homes. They build up so that they don't get flooded out in the rainy season. There are termites in Litchfield that build their mounds in long thin blades along a north/south axis. It's the only place in the world where they are known to exist. They've experimented with artificially changing north using magnets and determined the termites detect magnetic north. The thinking is that it helps them regulate temperature better.

I pulled into the campground at Wangi Falls mid afternoon, changed into swim gear, made a sandwich and headed for the falls. I took 3 steps from the van and this bird:
 swooped down and took a half slice of bread off the ham sandwich I was carrying! I never saw him coming it was incredible.

Beth had requested a picture of a kangaroo with a baby in pouch. I really doubted that I could make it happen. But there were a bunch of wallabies eating outside of a visitor center I went into and a couple of them had babies. So Beth - this one's for you!



No comments:

Post a Comment