Sunday, April 5, 2015

Once in a red moon

Still in Aoraki/Mt Cook park.  I've really enjoyed my time here and have been reluctant to leave. 
Day before yesterday I took a hike to Kea point.  At the end is a massive moraine valley and an excellent view of the glaciers there. 

 I walked out to the very end but retreated rather quickly because the sounds coming from the space in front of me were somewhat unsettling.  A few hundred yards back I fell into conversation with a young woman from Connecticut (Laura) while her friends explored where I had just come from.  When they returned I was taking their picture when the sound of thunder started coming from the glacier.  We turned to look and witnessed a large avalanche - a huge chunk of ice had calved off the glacier! It was thrilling! I was holding her phone so snapped several pictures of the process.  She has promised to send them to me but we'll see - could take a year to download them given my slow phone connections.  

Laura had told me there would be a lunar eclipse that very night from 11-3. They call it a red moon. The moon was full and had been very bright somewhat to my dismay. The valley here is an international dark sky reserve - all artificial light must be filtered and nonessential lights out after 11pm. The result is spectacular night skies. I managed to stay up until 1 am and witness the red moon and amazing star filled sky. What a day. I must be the luckiest person in the world!

3 comments:

  1. What an experience. You look so happy!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture was taken right after the avalanche. It was pretty thrilling. Traveling isn't all Christmas and bonbons but I certainly am a lot happier than I have been for quite some time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this picture. Well cousin, if we were of the same generation, maybe, just maybe, I would be there with you. What goals you are achieving.

    ReplyDelete