Saturday, April 18, 2015

The seal pups of Ohau waterfall

Stopped at the Ohau stream and waterfall at the recommendation of an old guy I met at a campground on the way to Hanmer Springs and I'm really glad I did! It's a short walk up a stream to a waterfall and all along the way there are seal pups playing in the pools formed by the stream. I don't know if the adults are too big or too busy to get up the inland stream but all I saw were youngsters.  Stayed and watched them for a very long time it was just too much fun.




The drive up the coast from there was beautiful. The mountains come right down to the sea. Found a little campground overlooking the ocean with a long walk (4 hours round trip) along the beach to an old lighthouse. I started to go on Friday but was worried about getting trapped at high tide about half way there so I returned and went yesterday leaving earlier in the morning. The lighthouse itself was on private land and though I read that they don't mind visitors, I didn't feel comfortable going all the way up to it - still a cool walk.
Sunrise from my campsite this morning:


I'm really not feeling ready to leave the south island just yet. I think I'll head back to the Golden Bays area. I spent some time there as that is where the Abel Tasman great walk is but I think it merits some further exploration.

1 comment:

  1. You must be getting in GREAT shape!! How fun!
    I love seal pups.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete