Saturday, August 8, 2015

GBR and Daintree Natl Park

I visited the outer reef on a snorkel and dive boat last Tuesday.  There is a shelf drop off at the outer edge of the reef where the visibility is supposed to be greatest.  So I paid the extra money to have the best experience possible and it was worth it. We visited 3 different spots. I snorkeled the first and last and took an introductory scuba dive at the second site. The reef was so close to the surface,  it turns out that diving was really unnecessary but it was an experience of a lifetime and I'm glad I did it. I might consider certification at some point in the future but only if I find myself somewhere where a long boat ride to dive sites isn't required. I must admit to a bit of sea sickness in spite of the prevention pills.
There is a fungus that grows on the reef that makes it a reddish-brown color and thus more subdued than I had expected. The fish were beautiful and there was a lazy old sea turtle we interacted with a bit on my dive. Overall it was a wonderful day.

I have hired a car for a week and went north to Daintree Natl Park. It is a world heritage area and apparently is the only place in the world where the rainforest grows into the ocean. The mangrove forests at oceans edge makes it unique. It's a beautiful rainforest and I took all the walks I could find.  I'm posting this from my phone so pictures will have to wait.

Headed for Kuranda today.  I've stopped at an area called the Crystal Cascades,  shortly outside of Cairns. It is a beautiful river and waterfall area,  part of the water system where most of Cairns water comes from.

No comments:

Post a Comment